Using Pectin

I am a pectin novice. I try to make recipes without pectin, but I also try to reduce the amount of sugar so I taste more of the fruit. Somehow using pectin seemed like not being true to the fruit. But without pectin, those recipes are more of a syrup or loose preserve and my family would like a jam. Thus I am learning about pectin as I go.

I first tried "just adding it" when the fruit will not reach 220F. That has mixed results. Usually mixed in the negative sense.

I have now settled in on using Pomonas Pectin as it is designed for low sugar recipes. It requires pectin and calcium water (the latter can be kept in the fridge for the next canning opportunity).

Peach/Apricot: 
4 c. mashed fruit
1/4 c. lemon or lime juice
4t calcium water
1/2C to1C honey OR 3/4C to 2C sugar
3t pectin (mix with the sugar)

Grapes
4C juice 
1/4C lemon or lime juice 
4t calcium water
1/2C to 1C honey OR 3/4C to 2C sugar
4t pectin (mixed with sugar)
 

It doesn't seem that the jam has to reach 220F to set when using pectin. But the freezer test still holds. Pomona's says:

You don’t need to do a jell test with Pomona’s. If you have followed a Pomona’s recipe and the directions, your jam should jell when it is completely cool – 12 to 24 hours after removing it from the water bath.

If you’d like to do a jell test, this is what we recommend: Put a Tablespoon of the hot mixture on a little saucer. Put the saucer in the freezer to thoroughly cool the mixture.

Remove the saucer from the freezer when the mixture is thoroughly cool and check the jell. It is a good idea to turn off the heat and put a lid on your pot while doing the jell test.

For adapting recipes. http://www.pomonapectin.com/usingpomona/developing-your-own-recipes-for-cooked-jam-or-jelly-using-pomonas/



Print Friendly and PDF