Slab Apple Pie
We had this apple pie throughout my childhood, especially when we lived at the old house. The recipe says you can make it with pears, but I only remember it with apples. (I think my mom's looked a lot nicer, but it's all in the taste.) Finally, the recipe calls for cornflakes, which go on the inside of the pie, but I am now guessing the purpose is to absorb extra juices. I would add more apples and omit the cornflakes next time I make it. It disappeared quickly in any case.
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup shortening
1 tbsp vinegar
1 egg, separated
~2/3 cup milk
1 tsp cinnamon
nutmeg
5 c. sliced apples
2 1/2 c. cornflakes, crushed to make 2/3 cup
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup sugar (I use 3/4 cup)
Preheat oven to 400F.
Mix flour, sugar, and salt together in a bowl. Cut in the shortening and blend well. Pour vinegar into a mixing cup and add milk until it reaches 2/3 cup. Mix the egg yolk in. (Alternatively, pulse flour, sugar & salt in a food processor. Add chunks of shortening and pulse some more. Add liquids and pulse until it comes together.)
Divide dough in half and roll out the first half to a 15x11 rectangle. Place the dough on a baking sheet. Add crushed cornflakes and apple slices. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg and some sugar, depending on tartness of apples. Roll out the second half of dough and place on top of apple mixture. Crimp the edges together.
Beat the egg white until stiff. Spread on top of the pie top. Mix lemon juice and sugar together (with a little water if needed to get a pourable consistency).
Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour the lemon juice/sugar over it while it is still warm. Let cool and enjoy.

